Grief is a normal process
Almost everyone will experience grief in their lifetime. Grief is a normal, natural and inevitable reaction to loss. Grief, however, can affect every part of our life, including our thoughts, behaviors, beliefs, feelings, physical health and our relationships with others.
Grief is a process, not a one-off event. It is not an illness, although it may be a very difficult time to go through, and it can be stressful, and full of pain.
People experience grief with:
- the loss of a job or a property
- a relationship breakdown or divorce
- the loss of mobility due to aging or accident
- dealing with chronic or terminal illness such as cancer, dementia or mental health issues
- caring and supporting someone with chronic or terminal illness such as cancer, dementia or mental health issues