Registered Counsellor, PACFA Reg. Provisional
M Counselling, Grad Cert Emotionally Focused Therapy (Cand)
Jess enjoys working with adult individuals & couples. She is passionate in helping people discover the emotional roots of their core issues. Her special interests are grief & loss, past trauma & relationship counselling. She has been counselling since 2015 and has provided educational workshops to churches in the areas of general mental health.
$100-110 per hour session
Areas of Practice
Mental Health, Trauma and Abuse
- Adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse
- Anxiety including OCD, panic attacks, stress management
- Domestic violence
- Emotional, physical and sexual abuse – past or present
- Trauma, past and present, including PTSD
- Affairs – working through the discovery and rebuilding trust
- Communication issues
- Conflict resolution
- Different expectations – personal, family and cultural
- Grief & loss of children
- Losing love & connection
- Pre-marital preparation and counselling (Prepare-Enrich)
- Anger management
- Assertiveness and boundary setting
- Coping with emotions
- Grief & loss
- Life and work transitions
- Migration/re-settlement issues (for Asians to Australia)
- Relationship issues
- Spirituality (Christian perspective)
- Student issues
- Transcultural issues
- Women’s issues
- Workplace-related issues
How I Approach Counselling & Psychotherapy
I believe that each person is infinitely valuable and unique and has their own way of seeing the world and experiencing it. There is no “one size fits all”. While I work primarily from an attachment, systemic, and emotionally-focused framework, I incorporate a varity of perspectives to help clients focus on the emotional roots of an issue rather than just the symptoms.
My approach to counselling consists of:
- Helping clients understand and work through their emotional experience in a safe and supportive environment
- Empowering clients through a process of self-discovery and awareness, leading to new perspectives of self and other
- Building upon strengths and potential and working through any resistance to change
Whatever my client’s situation, I always look for hope and do not overlook the courage it takes to be willing to take steps towards growth and healing. I truly believe that given the right emotional support, every individual and couple is capable of and has the capacity to change. My hope is to help people better understand themselves and their experience, instill hope and confidence to cross life’s invariable disappointments and challenges, and help them discover possible ways of moving forward.
I was initially drawn to counselling due to my involvement in pastoral care and have undertaken training as a pastoral care worker for women & young adults at an evangelical church in Sydney. I have a particular interest in helping people work through issues relating to faith & spirituality (Christian perspective), while also respecting the autonomy, faith, and values of my clients.
Having lived overseas in SE Asia for much of my life and migrating to Australia on my own as a young adult, I understand the challenges and rewards faced by migrants and overseas students and have an interest in working with this particular group.
- Provisional registration with PACFA
- Associate registration with CCAA
My fee is $100-110 per hour session. Concessions may be available if you having financial difficulties.
My bank details for online payments are: